Script Image Posted December 31, 2014; Text On Page Last Edited October 27, 2016:
Joining a fitness center is a luxury many cannot afford. Our preference is to set up a gym where membership pays for itself, and patrons can receive cash back for participation. Currently customers exercise and expend energy, which mostly ends up going to waste, whereas instead their activities could be harnessed towards the production of electricity. Energy companies offer payouts for households which contribute power back to the “grid,” such as from wind generators on one’s property; this principal is to be further evaluated for applications with fitness instruments.
In terms of payments gym members could carry an ID to scan before using certain equipment, so energy production gets credited towards their account, applied to the cost of membership, with direct monetary compensation for anything extra. Facility ownership skims off a percentage to cover expenses / investment, and the supplemented electricity helps power the facilities.
Force is required to operate electric generators, which basically involves rotating a wheel. Typical power plants are designed to boil water, steam from which spins a fan connected to the generator in question; for our purpose mechanical / physical energy turns the generator directly. The objective is improving current technology to enhance leverage for the amount of work from each exercise, using the principles of “simple machines,” i.e., wedge, pulley, inclined plane, lever / fulcrum. The optimum apparatus or combination thereof will vary, based on the nature of different exercise equipment; weightlifting machines would be utilized differently from stationary bikes, stair-climbers, elliptical, and so forth. As a more practical approach alternative options need to be developed and made readily available, for instance the notion of a human-sized “hamster wheel” and other mechanisms where users put their full bodyweight into the process, such as repeatedly climbing up a flight of stairs and driving all their weight into pulling a “lever” on the way down, employing the force of gravity.
– Gym / FItness Equipment
– Gears for Different Weight Classes Maximize Leverage and Ensure a Moderate Descent; Releases and Resets Position Up Top When the User Lets Go
– Barriers Block Electromagnetic Radiation from the Generator
– Padding Offers Landing Protection for Up To a Few Stories’ Fall, in the Event of Malfunction / User Error
– Alternate Options:- Putting a Wheelbarrow Full of Weights Up a Hill / Ramp Onto a Platform
– Swimming Pool Landing Area / Parachute / Bungee, Instead of Regular Mats / Padding, Increasing the Number of Floors’ Distance Possible, Based on Enhanced Safety
– Pulley Mechanism (Raises Back Up when Released)
– Energy Being “Charged Up,” Similar Design to that of a “Windup Toy”
Further assistance is requested from engineers / scientists in developing methods to “amplify” energy transferred from an individual’s exertion on such apparatuses to the generator itself. Instead of “spinning the wheel” directly, some options may combine efforts across multiple machines, perhaps shifting quantities of water for hydroelectric energy or air compression operating a turbine. Any contributors to design and test a range of such applications, preferably open source, would be much appreciated. Equipment in question shall be also made available for home use, for household incentive payments and to have on hand as an emergency backup. Eventually such technology can hopefully provide a basic electricity source for less developed world regions.
Proposed modification to Fitness program for some one’s car parked at the gym or elsewhere:
– Potential Modification for Proposed “Fitness Equipment” (Not Drawn to Scale)
– Force of Gravity on Weight of Car Used to Pull Lever Until Pivot Point of Equilibrium, Before Which Shifts to Parked Position / Brake for Apparatus to Reset
– Point of Connection Slides Down As Lever is Pulled, for Vehicle to Remain Stationary; Vehicle Itself Does Not Move, Just Harnessing Mechanical Energy of Its Weight + Wheels for Conversion to Electricity
– Parking Gear May Involve Shifting Point of Connection to a Stable Wall / Post, Heavy Enough to Hold in Place
– Not Necessarily Required to Use a Car, for Instance a Trailer Could be Up-Scaled to Hold Larger Mass
– Hill / Ridge Facing the Opposite Direction, to Prevent Damage in Case the Mechanism Becomes Disengaged
Continued from previous image – taking electricity out of the equation:
– Non-Electrical Applications for Modified Fitness Equipment
– Vehicle on Incline to Harness Mechanical Energy, Attaching Directly to Apparatus in Place of Electric Generator
– Water Pump, Reverse Osmosis, Desalination
– Agriculture Harvest, Mill
– Quarry, Rock Smasher
– Conveyor Belt, Lift
– Air Compressor, Fan
Alternate Option(s) for the Braking Mechanism
– Based on the Concept of Capturing Physical Energy to Generate Electricity, Seen with Some Exercise Devices (e.g., Pedaling a Bicycle to Operate a Lightbulb)
– A Vehicle on an Inclined Plane is Exerting Force onto Wherever Connected / Tied. Concept is to Keep Stationary through Both Stages: Harnessing its Leverage, Then Braking to Reset the Gear
– CLAMPS Could Be Used to Hold Wheels in Place for Parking Phase, Coordinated to Close when Above Apparatus Reaches Pivot Point of Equilibrium Previously Discussed
– Stand / Holster to Help Lock-In at Proper Timing Intervals
Before any further progress is made, it needs to be noted electricity generators give off electromagnetic radiation, which is considered harmful to the health of any one in range. Before installation every one must ensure users will be shielded from all such hazards, including sufficient barriers / grounding, confirmed by testing via Gauss Meter. If possible the distance between individuals and the generator should be far enough away from hazard range, so the person’s work takes place where electric fields are out of the picture. If any one could develop open source blueprints for one or more phases of the process, we thank you greatly in advance.
– Free Gym Where Only Charge is Electric
– Human Powered Gyms Make Watts from Your Workout
– In the Gym: Clean Energy from Muscle Power
– Texas State Unveils ‘Calories to Kilowatts’
– Self-Powering Gym Uses Energy from Your Workout to Keep the Lights On
– Energy Floors – Sustainable Dance Floor
– Dancefloor Generates Electricity at London’s First Eco-Disco
– Power-Generating Dance Floor Hits UK Club
– Bike Powered Electricity Generators are Not Sustainable
– 6 Simple Machines: Making Work Easier
– Simple Machines: The Science of Levers, Wheels, Gears, Pulleys
– Simple Machine – Wikipedia
– Mechanical Amplifier – Wikipedia
– Physics Stack Exchange – How Do Levers Amplify Forces?
– The Physics Classroom – Free Fall and Air Resistance
– Light and Matter – Acceleration and Free Fall
– Hamster-Wheel Standing Desk: Embrace the Rodent Race
– How Do Power Plants Work?
– The Energy Story – Turbines, Generators and Power Plants
– Turbine Generator – TurbineGenerator
– Hydroelectric Power – How it Works
– Department of Energy – How Do Wind Turbines Work?
– Cape Cod Town Residents Claim to be Hit by ‘Wind Turbine Syndrome’
– ‘Wind Turbine Syndrome’ Blamed for Mysterious Symptoms in Cape Cod Town
– Wind Turbine Syndrome and Vibroacoustic Disease – Wind Wise Massachusetts
– NIH – Electric & Magnetic Fields
– Q & A About EMF Electric and Magnetic Fields
– What Are the Health Risks of Living Near an Electric Substation?
– What is a Gauss Meter?
– Best Hand Crank / Solar Lantern Available?